The Coalition ‘Sexual and Health Rights of Marginalized Communities’ was founded in 2007 as a non-formal, joint platform and the result of the joint efforts of several organizations: HOPS – Healthy Options Project Skopje, HERA, IZBOR – Strumica and EGAL. Since 2011, the Coalition has been registered as an individual entity, that is as an NGO whose founders are: HOPS – Healthy Options Project Skopje, HERA, IZBOR – Strumica, EGAL and STAR-STAR.
The Coalition “Sexual and Health Rights of Marginalized Communities” (SHRMC) promotes a world with equal people, without discrimination, a world where everyone can enjoy the universal human rights and where respect of diversity and the right to choice are the basic principles of a democratic and free society.
The Coalition “Sexual and Health Rights of Marginalized Communities” promotes protection and respect of the fundamental human rights of marginalized communities, with focus on LGBTI persons, drug users, people living with HIV, sex workers and marginalized women. The Coalition focuses on advocacy, research and analysis, inclusion of the marginalized communities in the creation and implementation of the policies, education of all the relevant actors, promotion of the cultural practices of the marginalized communities, as well as networking and building alliances with the civil society.
Promotion of the health and well-being of marginalized communities (MC) by providing availability and improvement of access to quality health, social and legal services;
Promotion of MC’s human rights and protection from discrimination of the MC’s through advocacy and promotion of laws, policies and practices;
SUB-GOALS AND KEY ACTIVITIES
Developing strategies for providing financial means from possible donators, government institutions etc.
– Campaigns for sensitizing the public regarding the rights of MC;
– Promotion of Anti-Discrimination Law in the context of MC;
– Debating and discussing about Sexual and Health Rights of MC;
– Creating reference network of doctors and lawyers, sensitized to MC;
– Developing skills with representatives of public institutions (in the field of health, social services etc.) and state bodies (ministries, parliament, local self-government units);
– Instigating court cases for exercising the rights of MC and providing legal assistance;
– Advocacy for establishing specialized (free, quality, voluntary, confidential) services for sex and reproductive health within the frames of the health protection system;
– Introducing sexual health as a subject in education;
– Establishing positive legal environment for prevention of discrimination against MC;
– Promotion of Law on Anti-Discrimination in the context of MC;
– Advocating for amendments of a Law on Anti-Discrimination in the context of MC;
– Advocacy for elaboration of national policies;
– Establishing collaboration and partnership with the Ombudsman and the Public Prosecutor;
– Working with the Commissions for Protection of Patients’ Rights in the municipalities;
– Documenting violation cases of sexual and health rights of MC, elaboration and issuing reports on the sexual and health rights state of MC;
– Informing the MC on their rights;
– Active participation of MC in the Coalition activities;
– Organizing activities for the community’s reinforcement;
– Motivating the MC to report/instigate cases;
– Organizing activities for raising the political awareness of MC.
The Coalition believes that respect of diversity and the right to choice are the fundamental principles of healthy, tolerant and free society;
The Coalition recognizes in full the needs and requirements of marginalized communities regarding their health, sexuality and freedom to choose the manner of living and habits, and promotes the application of these rights;
The Coalition believes that enjoying the sexual and health rights of marginalized communities can be implemented in its full solely by active participation and mobilization of representatives of marginalized communities and partnership with all the relevant factors in the society;
The Coalition is a democratic network of citizen’s organizations, based on the principle of equality, horizontal and collaborative actions and decision making based on principles grounded on the framework of human rights;
The Coalition promotes comprehensive understanding of sexuality, including emotional, psychological, social and cultural factors while planning and distribution of services;
The Coalition promotes actions based on integral approach in representing human rights and solidarity in all social movements for justice and equality of all people, regardless of their identity, status, characteristics and differences.
Representatives of public and state institutions on local and central level
The International Community
LGBT/MSM (Men having sex with men)
People Living with HIV/AIDS
PARTNERSHIP AND COOPERATION
Ministry of Health
Ministry of Education and Science
Ministry of Labor and Social Policy
Ministry of Justice
Public institutions providing health, social and legal services
Electronic and printed media
Council of Europe
International organizations and networks
Providing equal access and enjoyment of human rights of marginalized communities and better life quality in different social spheres.
Executive director: Irena Cvetkovik [firstname.lastname@example.org]
Coalition’s coordinator: Slavco Dimitrov [email@example.com]